View Single Post
Old 01/09/2008, 01:32 AM
El Jefe de WRS

Yes, but they are small, like crocea, not large like maxima...

Also, do you see how dramatic the overlaping of the scutes is at the top edge of the shell on a maxima...

Id say its a crocea as well... but I would need to see more photos to be sure. Do you have a pic of it before you got it (the sales photo)? The mantle can help as well.

It may be an honest mistake. Importers sometimes dont know and they ship it under whatever sounds better. If you google maxima clam, you will see many pics of crocea's mixed in... called 'green maxima (really just green croceas), gold maxima, etc. Black croceas are alot more common, so it might be tempting for someone who finds a black mantle one to try to sell it as crocea. I once went to a friends place who claimed to have bought one of the rare 'blue squamosa' clams. As soon as I saw it, I knew what it was... a large pale blue maxima clam... not even 1st grade... just larger than commonly seen for sale. He didnt want to hear it though, but I told him 'we will see based on its growth'. Sure enough, a year later, its barely grown... a squamosa would be adding an inch or two by now even at that size... but not a maxima.

I gotta say, that 'black maxima' looks like a '1st grade crocea' to me.

Last edited by hahnmeister; 01/09/2008 at 01:44 AM.