View Single Post
Old 12/10/2007, 11:04 PM
Registered Member

Question My devil's hand is idle...

HELLP !
I recently bought a devils hand soft coral, my first and only coral thus far. Well My tank had just finished its cycling, so I probably should have waited, but like most, I was impatient and figured it would 'be okay' so anyway at the time, the FS that i bought it from said I would be fine with flourescent lighting (PS 55g tank 48" long) and to get 1 marine glo and one power glo and that would be peachy. SO that is what I did and my poor coral is all shriveled. So I bought a 175 watt metal halide, which still isnt enough, but it is sufficient until my 260 watt power compact gets here... anyway, the thing is the coral is FINALLY, after about a month, starting to open up and expand a little, thank God, I thought it was a lost cause, but the problem is, that there it forks off at the base, forming two branches, in fact the base sits on 2 small rocks, and anyway one side of the coral looks dead. The bottom of that side is growing what Im assuming is brown algae, (also didnt know about RO water until recently, where I found out I could buy it at the grocery store, which I did and did a 25 percent water change) and the one side is grayish instead of pink and shrivelled looking, the other branch is pink and starting too look healthy again under that mh light..YYAAYY!! But what do I do about the piece that may be dead? Do I cut it off or leave it or wait until I know for sure? Will it hurt it to cut it off if I am this inexperienced?? THANKS GUYS!!!