View Single Post
Old 01/05/2008, 10:50 PM
Premium Member

IMO this skimmer design is more comparable to BK internal skimmer vs. ATI. And I know it could be argued either way, but some consider ATI a cheap knock-off of BK. The MSX series happens to use the mesh-modded Sicce pumps like ATI, but keep in mind that Tunze uses the same pumps (although they use a needlewheel). The Sicce pump is nothing "proprietary". Just like Deltec, H&S, etc. all using Aquabee, Eheim, etc.

Having owned Euro-reef, Deltec, H&S, etc. I was convinced my next skimmer would be BK. The Red Dragon pumps are incredibly energy efficient (low wattage yet lots of power) and the craftsmanship is second to none.

That said, I decided to give this skimmer a try... how can I afford not to? Consider you could buy and trash 3 of these units for the price of a BK... although I do consider quality important.

Well, today I received my MXS250 and although I won't have it hooked up for a while (new tank on the way), I can tell you the build quality is beyond expectation for the price The construction is heavy and solid, the seams are remarkably straight and clean (especially where the tapered neck meets the body). This skimmer looks and feels great.

Only time will tell regarding performance but we know these pumps are capable of pulling 700-800 LPH of air at ~30 watts. The pumps do run hot but this is not as much of an issue with submerged, in-sump operation. If we get anything close to 1500 LPH of air at < 60 watts IMO this skimmer will be a clear winner in the VALUE and PRICE PERFORMANCE categories.

Also, I have personal experience and frustration like many with the cost of replacement pumps on high-end skimmers. For me a pump failure was usually an excuse to rationalize a skimmer upgrade vs. shelling out for a replacement pump at $500. Another important point: these Sicce pumps are readily available and I've seen the mesh modded versions for < $100 new.