View Single Post
Old 01/11/2008, 02:28 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by glenns
flipteg,

Thanks for the reply. I hope you don't mind a few additional questions. How loud is your skimmer? What is the minimum and maximum water level it requires? What water level offers the best skimming? My stand is not very tall. I think it would just barely fit. How much clearance would you say you need to remove the cup? Lastly, are you using as the feed pump?

Thanks again,
Glenn
the aquarium is in a bedroom and i am a very light sleeper... i have my return pump turned all the way down to around 70-90gph because at 150gph, the sound of water trickling down the 1.25" flexible drain pipe won't let me sleep... it sounds like when there is light rain outside and the window is open...

the pump does hum, but light humming sounds doesn't really bother me... the most prominent sound that the skimmer make is a slight trickling sound from the water mixing with air and from the piping for the output... i said prominent but it is still very quiet... not even noticeable when the cabinet door is closed... when i open the cabinet door, the two sounds that i can hear the most is that water trickling and the 6" WalMart fan that i use for cooling... the fan and the skimmer makes about the same level of noise...

i think your question about water depth is about the in-sump version of the skimmer... i have the recirculating version so i can not comment on that... it does not matter what the depth of water is for the feed pump... the most important thing is to provide it with constant water level that will not change due to evaporation... i have a very simple 5.5 gallon refugium with no dividers... i solved the problem by cutting the top of a 1 gallon Gatorade bottle... i then put the main tank's drain pipe, the skimmer's output, and the skimmer's feed pump inside the Gatorade bottle...

for the 120, the clearance to remove the cup is less than 2 inches...

i am using a MaxiJet 600 for a feed pump... i still have a ball valve to restrict the flow and give me control on the flow through... for the size of my tank, the full output of the MaxiJet 600 is too much... actually, even the MaxiJet 400 will still be more than enough... i just happened to have a MaxiJet 600 handy...

here is a picture of the small space i have to work with in the 30 gallon Oceanic cube tank's cabinet...