View Single Post
Old 12/25/2007, 09:45 AM
Registered Member

Hi Jenny, thanks for the reply. I am aware of their sand moving and rock tumbling habits and have re-scaped the tank just for them - I have provided artificial tunnels and large caverns under the live rock they can inhabit if they choose to, plenty of options for them. The rock is resting securely on the bottom of the tank and is not unstable. Before now I have had a thin layer of crushed shells just simply to cover the bottom from view for aesthetic reasons which I have removed in preparation for the engineers - I am not interested in having a deep sand bed in the display part of the tank and am putting sand in just for the gobies. I don't mind that they will stir it up - in fact I am hoping they will keep it well turned over so any detritus can get filtered out of the water and the sand won't get discoloured. I should also mention the size of the tank - 48 gallon. Currently in the way of fish I have 3 captive bred banded pipefish, 2 CB common seahorses (H. taenopterus), 4 PJ cardinals and 1 mandarin.

I have read that engineer gobies/convict blennies are only aggressive towards conspecifics and are a very peaceful community fish despite their length, though they may eat fish as small as clown gobies if kept with them. That all sounds fine for my tank but would be great to get some first hand experiences rather than just go by what I have read.