View Single Post
Old 01/30/2004, 11:10 AM
Bogus Information Expert

Actually I would like to have a Sphyrna zygaena . If all the 9000 + people that have read this thread would send me around $200 a piece I could fulfill my dream.

As John has been hinting, by this time your tank should have all the basics in place and be well past the cycle. At least I hope so since I started this thread back in September. It is about time that you add some livestock.

First off, please, PLEASE don't send me lists of fish and corals you want in your tank. I'm not a marine biologist and I don't know the Latin name and breeding habits of every critter in the sea. You want ot send those lists to the expert droids, Eric Borneman, Ron Shimek and Frank Marini. These droids know everything that has ever swam, crawled or slithered about in the ocean and will probably kill me for telling all you Newbies to PM them with fish wish lists.

Most new reefers acquire a "clean up crew" as soon as ammonia levels reach zero. Usually this is snails, hermit crabs and perhaps a sea cucumber. Snails are the most common addition and the safest to add. When adding snails you want about one for each gallon of tank volume. Try to mix the types you add. There are all sorts of claims on which snail is best so variety covers the bases. Hermit crabs get mixed reviews. Doc Ron feels they may be too good at their job removing beneficial critters from you sand bed. I have hermits and seem to have a good stable DSB with lots of pods. Hermits are not mandatory so make your own decision. Sea cukes are sand processors. They stir the bed and eat the sand. Well, they really don't eat sand but run it through their gut and consume the biological growth attached to it. I've never had one but it would seem this removal of the critters in the bed may be harmful. If you get one I'd keep it to just one. The critters in your bed do repopulate fairly quickly and probably can withstand a single cuke.

I don't have a lot of time today but I'll continue this new part of the thread over the next week or so.

I know--it has taken 5 months to get here but we always say on RC that patience is a virtue.

Tom