View Single Post
Old 01/11/2004, 09:15 PM
Bogus Information Expert

Quote:
Originally posted by Radicaljbr
your quote (sorry, have no idea how you guys include quotes)

Waterkeeper, I am going back to a reply (above)you sent me on 12-17. I am still trying to figure out what to do with my lighting. You mention two things. One was to add bulbs to my hood. By doing so would I have to change the ballast? als I really see no room unless I move the reflector out. The other thing you mention is to change to 96 watts if I can handle the length. Length of what? I am using 48" PC with 2x 10,000K and 2 x actinis...all are 65 watts for a 105 gallon tank.
John,

First things first. Use the handy-dandy at the right top corner of any post. I'll teach you the secret of writing in blue when you get several years experience in the hobby.

I'm not sure what type of ballasts you have. If at all possible you want to mount ballasts in the stand or some other remote location. This does three things-
[list=1][*]Provides additional space in your hood.[*]Gets the heat from the ballast away from the tank.[*]Provides a less corrosive environment for this costly piece of equipment.[/list=1]
Note Numbered lists are only for the most advanced reefkeeper

Not all ballasts can be safely mounted more than a foot or two from the actual lights. You want to make sure (check with the manufacturer) that it is OK to remote mount the ballast. In most cases electronic's can be mounted remotely but magnetic may overheat if distanced from the lights.

In your case John I'd check on how much wattage your ballast can handle. If it has the capacity, then upping your lights from 65 watt to 96 is no problem.

For the electrically challenged among us; you'll usually find that the local industrial electrical retail store can be a real help. Most times they are happy to answer one's questions and, in some cases, will do minor wiring ( I think to prevent you from char broiling yourself).

Your question about length is why I tend not to give a lot of data on more exotic bulbs like T-5 and PC. It seems every time one turns around there is a new configuration on the market. You say your 65 watt PC's are 48" while the ones I'm use to seeing are only 21". Even the 96 watt lights I've seen are only 33". That doesn't mean your length is wrong. Only it is a size I've not come across.

What you talk about, that is, removing the reflector from your hood; is not a good idea. The amount of illumination you lose without a reflector makes for a large loss in the overall light your tank receives.

You may wish to put up a post on the RC lighing forum. There are plenty of people with more knowledge than I on the variety of lights available. They tend to lurk on that forum.

Tom