View Single Post
Old 04/28/2007, 11:23 PM
Registered Member

Inner tube cut down pics!

So i decided to do the inner tube cut down mod on my sk 200. Like luke said, it will really help the performance of the skimmer by letting the bubbles stay in the body longer. It also doesnt make them go straight into the neck of the skimmer.

So heres what i did. I measured the diameter of the inside tube and made a template of it. I turned the skimmer over and placed the template on the would be center on the underside. This allowed me to know where the tube was so i could cut around it. For cutting i used a razor blade held by channel locks. I heated the razor blade with a torch and used it to melt through the plastic ( not the clean way. It would be better to drill corner holes and cut out with a hand jig saw, then weld on a piece of acrylic over the hole). After i had melted around the tube, i popped out the piece with a hammer. I then proceded to cut the inner tube down. I replaced the piece by silicone. I realize its not the best hold but there will not be much pressure on the joint. It would be better to use weld on. I made sure i had a good seal and then let dry. The pictures ahould give you an idea on how i did it. Any questions just ask.

I wont have any up and running pictures until probably tuesday night. Even then it will just be running in a ten gallon tank because i have not drilled my tank and have yet to install my sump. Those test will be with the stock pump, but i plan on getting a different pump.
here ya go

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket