View Single Post
Old 09/21/2006, 10:05 AM
Registered Member

Well, I haven’t read the whole thread, but I like the idea. I run BB and do miss some of the aspects of the DSB. This is the perfect fit since it never allows the DSB to build up in gunk as a result of good flow. Someone has probably already done this, but I’d throw it out just in case. I built mine last night out of some scrap acrylic. I placed it as shown in the image in my sump and it works perfectly so far. There is a constant flow over the whole top surface. I tested by dropping some detritus on the skimmer side and it flowed right over the whole RDSB.

One thing I noticed when I built my box (clear acrylic) is that there were a lot of air pockets in the sand. I’m wondering if this might be why some people’s RDSB’s don’t function that well. I had to remove the sand, add some water and displace the water with the sand to prevent air bubbles from getting trapped into the container. Again, someone might have already hit on this, but I haven’t had a chance to read the whole thing.

BTW, even though the container is clear, its in a dark sump area. I thought it would be nice to see if anything builds up in there.