View Single Post
Old 11/17/2007, 04:38 PM
El Jefe de WRS

Yes, the eheim 1250 that anton mods has seen a very dramatic performance increase on 60hz. In the EU, its a 400lph of air pump. Here, its 660-750 (depends on sump depth), and it needs the water level to be kept rather low to prevent microbubbles.

I suggested putting some kind of restriction on the outlet of the pump to Victor, and he sent me a video last night of it working (cut it all the way down to 480lph). At first, the idea was to remove some of the enkamat, but I didnt think that would do much under such a low pressure application (the smaller the impeller thick/dia just means less pressure handling), and since these cone shape skimmers allow the back pressure on the pump to be almost nothing, it didnt seem like it would do much. Well... Victor tried it, and no, it didnt work, but a small reducer on the outlet of the pump cut the air and water ouptut down to a more managable level. This is only for those who are concerned about the nano pump being too much really (microbubbles), or wanting to run the skimmer in deeper water. The skimmer works fine as long as its in a low water level (6"), and as it is, I hear its a real mud pig.

The other option would be to use an needlewheel rather than the threadwheel... lowering the output a little bit. This would be nice since there are people who might prefer a needlewheel over threadwheel for lower upkeep. Eheim should be releasing their 1255 impeller in spring in 60hz.

Back over to you Lumamae, what do you think? Looks like it skimmed coffee out of your tank.