View Single Post
Old 07/22/2007, 01:36 AM
Registered Member

OK, thanks, rsman.

I wrote . . . The slow progress of the water ensures maximum contact time.

You wrote . . . this is NOT a slow process, water flow along the surface of your coil should be moving FAST!!!

Later you wrote . . . When i was responding to you, i was responding to a specific question about how the coil portion of the unit works, water flow across the surface of the coil needs to be fast, in contrast water flow across the media in the bio chamber needs to be slow.

Sam wrote . . . the flow comming out of the tubing is a fast drip just slower than a stream but still a drip.

You wrote . . . It sounds way to fast of a flow to me.

You then wrote . . . When i was responding to sam, he has a cycling unit, when you start these off you have to start with a very slow flow and build up to a faster flow, he is not there yet. (i dont think he needs to adjust, test, respond to be sure)

So we’ve got these statements from you . . . water flow along the surface of your coil should be moving fast . . . water flow across the surface of the coil needs to be fast . . . when you start these off you have to start with a very slow flow and build up to a faster flow.

From what you said to Sam about his being too fast, it seems to mean when I start up the system to cycle it, it needs to be ‘slow’ and then when the system has finished cycling I need to increase the flow to ‘fast’.

Can we define ‘SLOW’ and ‘FAST’? They mean different things to different people. Let’s base it on your suggested size: a coil of 50 feet, ¼-inch OD, a chamber 14 inches long and two inches in diameter.

To start the system off, would ‘SLOW' mean one drop per second, or one drop every two seconds, or whatever?
Sam’s rate is ‘A FAST DRIP, JUST SLOWER THAN A STREAM, BUT STILL A DRIP’. Is that FAST enough when the system is cycled and fully functioning?

Thanks.

Les