View Single Post
Old 01/09/2008, 12:03 AM
I hug trees, not Bushes

Well, I just came back from there and it was amazing. It looked like a top notch facility and I'm sure they do everything they possibly can to keep them healthy. Sure, it's primarily a place for animals to be displayed, and not necessarily research, but it's worth it IMO. There were people from all over the world there, and that public face is very important for conservation. Especially if the sharks were captured from nets. I mean, what's the alternative?

The best thing I heard there concerned the seals. One of them had undergone cataract surgery and this guy asked why they had bothered to save the seal's eye. The person working/volunteering said "Well, we can do it. So, I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be done". I'm sure that's the attitude they take towards all of the inhabitants.

Anyway, facilities like these are gems and the animals that may die because of husbandry that isn't perfected is small potatoes compared to what is happening to the planet as a whole. There should always be pressure to improve the care provided any animal in captivity, but to simply stop them because it isn't perfect from day 1 seems a little short sighted.

All statements have been peer reviewed.