View Single Post
Old 01/03/2008, 10:56 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stephensturman
ya i think its early enough that i can garlic the food. he has very faint white spots u have to look really hard to be able to see any sign of them. and there not cysts. so i think it is very early!
Happy New Year Everyone!

"Reefsafe" Treatments are hit and miss at best. One thing you can be sure of is that they will make your skimmer go nuts. I am now a believer in garlic as a "cure " and a preventative. If caught early enough and if it is ich. Clowns are also prone to Marine Velvet which is far more contagious and deadly than ich. It looks like a fine white powder on the entire fish compared to the salt crystals of ich. I am not convinced that garlic will treat Velvet.

To use garlic put a few drops into a bowl with water and soak your food in it for 20 to 30 minutes and then feed your tank. Increase your feedings to several times per day because a fat well-fed fish is a healthy fish. I did this exact thing about a month ago for a tang that had ich and was possibly exposing the other 15 fish in my 90. No other fish got ich and the tang was "cured" in about a week.

Increasing the feedings is important so keep on eye on your chemistry. Also, it is important to remember that your tank (all of your tanks) have ich in them if there are fish in them. Its the health of the fish that keeps the ich under control. Good food, good chemistry and stable conditions = healthy, ich-free fish (in most cases).