View Single Post
Old 08/10/2004, 09:12 AM
Registered Member

Powder Blue in 7 gal. QT for 2 weeks, time to put in main tank?

I've received a powder blue tang from a friend who is no longer in the hobby, the tang was just purchased by him about a week before he decided to quit.

Since it came from my friend i did not QT, i placed directly in my 72 gallon (PBT is 2.5 inches). The tang started grazing on the live rock but would not accept prepared food or frozen or nori. After a couple of days started noticing the tang scratching on the rocks and also hanging at the top of the tank right underneath the output flow of my remora pro skimmer. Did some searching here at RC and decided it was "brooklynella". Was abe to catch the PBT at 3:30AM (extremely lucky) placed in 7 gallon QT tank. Did 3 formalyn baths within a week. The PBT is looking skinny since it hasn't eaten anything really.

As of today PBT is still in the QT tank but eating like a pig, chomps on nori, pellets, frozen formula 1 & 2. PBT is still on the skinny side but i can tell its slowly getting the meat back on. I am feeding heavily and need to do a water change every other day because i leave the nori and frozen food in the tank.

PBT is not showing any signs of "brooklynella" or any scratching. Should i wait a couple of more weeks and fatten him up first, or is it okay to release in the 72 gallon. I can tell the PBT likes to swim because he is constanly swimming in the small 7 gallon tank.

What do you think, okay to release or wait a couple of more weeks just in case he has ick?

Thanks for your help,
Steven