View Single Post
Old 11/02/2007, 07:32 PM
Registered Member

Great list, but I do have some comments on the AVOIDED animals list:

While I agree with any animal that we know the diet and can not provide, others could be tried until their conditions are understood and able to be provided, just look at what they used to say about keeping corals alive, it wasn't that long ago it was considered impossible to do.

I collect all of my own animals, I live in Florida and have family in Hawaii so I have experience with fish like rock beauty and moorish idols, with rock beauty it is a common deeper water fish and it doesn't handle drugs or rough handling. Most (not all) commercially collected rock beauties are caught using quinaldine and when brought up "poped". Quinaldine is a legal collecting drug in both Florida and Hawaii. I have 3 that I hand caught and decompressed that have lived together in a 70 gal tank for over 3 years. Most of the ones I have given to friends are still alive and once they take prepared foods seem to do well and grow (of the ones I have given to friends only 2 have died).

I also spend 3 weeks to 1 month a year collecting in HI and have done several experiments with moorish Idols. I collect 8, put 3 in my 55 gal tank (I have a relative with a house and he keeps saltwater fish as well) and started feeding them right away. I took the other 5 and put them in my temp holding system 3 were fed from day one, 2 were not fed for 10 days then offered food only once before I returned home. 6 survived, I brought 5 home (I left one in the 55 he is still alive and doing well, becoming agressive to the point they may get rid of him). the 2 that did not get fed both got skinny and died, all of the others are still alive. I know it has only been 5 or 6 weeks since collection, but all are fat and I have kept ones I collected in Mexico and fed from day 1 for over 2 years.

I am convinced that at least some of the "impossible" to keep could be kept if the collecters/wholesalers handled certain sp better. These are just 2 of the fish on the list, if we could figure out what it took, SOME of them could become succesfully kept long term.

Just my own experiences and thoughts