View Single Post
Old 12/01/2007, 07:35 PM
NJ Reefers Club

Mike, Thanks. Those NightSea shots are my favorites too. I've used various combinations (I have all the parts), but I find I like to shoot without the flash using the flashlight and the barrier filter. The glasses/flashlight part really help me identify which inhabitants would make the best photos. The filter is a necessity. I'd have to say the flash piece is the one I would/could/do live without, generally speaking. You could do without the glasses though by using the cam to scope the tank (not so easy to do in the dark though, which is when the stuff looks best).

I love those folks over on Nikonians, but I don't feel like many folks over there "get" the aquarium macro pictures, lol.

Tell Charles I said HI! if/when you order!

Fastfish, I love my 105VR, but I don't have much to compare it to. I've tried the 60mm but I just didn't like it. The guy who has it SWEARS by it, even sold his 105, if I'm not mistaken. I'd love to try the 200mm micro lens.

Re: the 105, if you're only taking aq macros and you're going to be on a tripod (neccesity, IMO) then the VR doesn't matter and you could go for the cheaper lens without the VR.

Too many people think it is all about the lens with the smallest min working distance, but I don't feel that way at all. With a tank that's 2' deep, having my 1:1 be at the 6" point doesn't really do me many favors! I can move BACK from the glass... but I can't readily move through it!