View Single Post
Old 11/13/2005, 11:22 AM
Premium Member

I'm not certain. I operated with the "One pound of live rock for every gallon of tank size"-rule. I don't believe now that it's really a "rule" but it did work to very quickly ready the tank for stocking with coral and fish and inverts. I think you would just get your tank on track a lot faster and it would generally benefit the health of your reef if you got some higher proportion of live rock in there. Of course, the cost is significant with a 300-gallon tank. It isn't for me to spend your money but I think I'd go for about 100-pounds, which of course will eventually turn out to be a lot more than that with the base rock that you have in there. But it's really all a matter of how fast you want this pre-livestock period of time to take. I think I'd wait another week or so and see if your water quality is improving at a reasonable rate of time. If after that you don't see some significant progress, then I'd go out and get the more live rock to kick start things if you are in a position to make the expenditure. Otherwise, waiting patiently (which can be hard to do) will do the trick.