View Single Post
Old 07/03/2007, 07:33 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sufunk
I hope you are right. The "many beautiful display tanks" in this and other forums were what made me want a large display tank.

It sure seems like all you see now are pics of tons of frag plugs at the bottom of a tank or frag racks packed to the gills. Pics of nice display tanks with colonies seem to be getting more and more rare around here.

It also seems like alot of people in this forum and in this thread lately only post/care about getting a eraser sized frag of the latest "hot/named" coral to sit in their frag rack until its big enough to re-frag.
I have a ton of cool frags in my tank sitting on plugs waiting to get moved into the new tank. eventually they will make there way onto the right rocks, for now they are just frags collected over the past year from lots of really great reefers out there in the U.S., some from vendors. I love collecting really nice corals. I prefer frags over colonies so I can grow them out. My goal is not to fill my tank with wild colonies to have a ready made reef tank. My goal is to fill my tank with small pieces from others and grow them out. This takes a few years at least. My old tank had huge colonies and I spent 4 years collecting frags and growing them. It is a slow process if you do it with patience and caring. This is only my truth about my tank and my desires. I can't speak for others on this forum but that acan colony I bought from Clint was the second "colony" of anything I have purchased, everything else started as a small frag.....everything. You may be right to assume some are getting the hottest coral just to wait to frag it to sell it...but truthfully that can be a while with some of these corals. I have had my original pink watermelon for 18 months. One frag is it...and that was a trade . It is pathetically small even after 18 months, darn thing grows so slow then it didn't like being fragged . Anyways, you get my jist, you're generalizing a great deal in your posts. Many folks have hot corals and trade with friends, give them away to club raffles, pass them on to newbies, restock a crashed tank of another RC member, sell some, etc. I know there are plenty of unscrupulous folks in this hobby just like any hobby, heck...life in general. Hard to find the good eggs anymore. But I have found lots and lots of good eggs in the reef world . I like to look at the positives as much as I can and find the beauty in people. I choose to stay away from the haters. I stay away from the unscrupulouos folks in the hobby as well. Once burned...you know.

This is so off topic...sorry Chad , I'll let it go now