View Single Post
Old 08/23/2005, 03:54 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bugger
Anthony is right it so diffucult and time consuming anybody that tells you its easy to grow is a liar.
phyto is easy to grow.

i spent several weeks reading numerous articles on the subject. it sounded very difficult, but i thought the same thing about maintaining a saltwater tank as opposed to freshwater. i spend less than 5 mins a week maintaining the culture. i have 3 2-liter bottles that i rotate. after i empty a bottle, i dip it in my trash can full of saltwater & fill it up. i also rotate my bottles about 45 degrees daily when i gather plankton to feed my tank, otherwise 1 wall of the bottle becomes really dark green since light fixutre is beside bottles. i don't reduce the salinity of the water. i don't sterilize, though i would to change that. i don't wait fur culture growth to peak. i'm sure i could grow denser cultures if i spent more time, but what i'm doing works.

the tunicates that came on my tbs rock began receding after going in to my tank. once i started dosing plankton, their growth took off. i haven't noticed changes in other filter feeders. i do not have a phosphate problem.

the cost of the setup was less than 2 bottles of dt's. i have nothing against dt's. i happily used their product prior to growing my own