View Single Post
Old 01/04/2008, 10:48 AM
In over my head!

Question - do I do daily water changes on the quarantine tank? If so, how do I maintain the copper levels being dosed? (Cupramine)
If you do a water change, whatever % of water you change needs cupramine added back to it. Keep track of how much cupramine you dosed in the tank initially, and that number times the % change will give you a ballpark idea of how much additional you need to add.

Question - How much do I feed and how often?
Feed heavily if the fish are sick/struggling. If they're healthy and doing well, minimal feedings are ok, and will result in less nutrients into the tank (since biological filtration is weak initially)

Question - Is the sponge filter sufficient in the power filter, or should I add the ceramic bio-media as well?
Anything is better than nothing. I actually like biowheels on QTs for handling ammonia and nitrite. Realistically, adding additional media at this point won't help for a while until they are populated with bacteria. Your best bet is to syphon any visible waste daily, and use water changes in the short term.

Question - Cupramine is measured in mg/L and my Red Sea copper test measures in ppm. What gives? I'm not doing my second dosing of copper until I figure this one out.
It just so happens that mg/L and ppm can be used interchangeably.