View Single Post
Old 11/11/2007, 08:50 PM
Registered Member

So glad I found this thread. As you may notice I registered quite a long while ago, read as much as I could, but never actually started anything.

Main reason was information overload. After reading so many ways to do things, and many people saying it had to be done this way or that way. I just said forget about it and went on to other hobbies.

Now with this thread it had everything I needed to feel comfortable to go out and finnaly do it. Specially the material list and the pros and cons of different routes.

So today I headed out. Stoped by the LFS and grabed 2 AGA 10 gallons, 3/4 Bulk heads, and some aggy sand. Then went to home Depot and picked up 6- 2x3x8, 2- 1x6x8, 1- 2x2x8, some plumbing, sillicon, Tile bit for a roto zip, and couple other acceserys. Total bill was right around 150.00 for everything.

Once home i figured the height I wanted the tank and started cutting. Cut some glass, inserted bulk head, then found some plexi glass thats 1/4" thick and cut up and overflow.

Screwd, and glued for about 1 hour and this is where Im at now.

Next steps for me is to skin the base, add trim to the canopy and base, then stain away. Which gives me ample time to lock in what exactly I will run for equipment and livestock.

I made my stand a bit different so I could slide another 10 gallon in at the base and use it for my sump. I also didt try to make the overflow real pretty as am going to do a faux rock back ala ultimate DIY rock thread thanks again

I plan on skinning the bottom with 1/2" birch and makeing the entire front a door just like the thread suggests. Im just going to do it a wee bit different so I get more then 90deg opening.

I really feel that if I hadnt stumbled upon this thread I would still be thinking about it and not actually going for it.

Thank you