View Single Post
Old 01/08/2008, 07:31 PM
Registered Member

hi again insane
i have some more questions , i whent down and got some portland type I&II, silica sand and solar salt from a home depot in the states, but iam haveing a hard time with the calcium carbonate sand from the feed store, is what iam looking a large grain grit sand like for birds or a fine powder? i asked for calcium carbonate but they call it sodium cloride is it the same thing?

i made a test rock with some portland, sand and a bit of CC&OS and salt, casted it in sand and iam going to cook it tommorow when i cook it do i wrap it in tinfoil or just put it in the oven at 450 with a pan of water for about 6 hours then take it out and dunk it in hot water several times and then a bath in 10% vinegar for three days then in FW for afew days with daily WCs dos that sound right?

and one important thing i was wondering is, the fumes/smell of the rock wile cooking do you know if it is bad for fish or birds? i have three FW tanks in my kitchen and my moms starling is in the upstairs kitchen i could move the bird but my mom isent to happy about me cooking rock in her oven, will it make a mess in the oven at all?

sorry for all the questions