View Single Post
Old 01/08/2008, 07:10 PM
Crazy Is As Crazy Does...

Exclamation MLR XTREME...

It's on.

MRS (Mini Rock Sauna) has passed a trial run tonight. I came up with a "doohickey" to channel some of the condensation back to the PC and it is performing much better now. I used items I found in the plumbing box in the garage, but a more permanent solution will be devised. For now, I am using a nylon reducing hose barb which just happened to slip over the original "valve stem" of the PC, connecting to the copper doohickey, kind of bent like a question mark, going to a nylon elbow that goes to the vinyl hose that connects to the igloo itself. I will post pictures with a full write-up when I have proof of it's functionality.

I was able to reach 155°F, with steam enough to almost scald myself when I went to look and see what was going on inside the igloo. The igloo did not appear to take any damage from the steam.

So. I sold a small load of rock the other day, and as my hubby and I agreed, I used the funds to make a stock order from Sealife Inc - a bunch of ricordea and a few other things.

But I still haven't gotten "the perfect rock" for my 'Cube, so, this is going to be like one of those DIY Extreme shows. I have 5 days before the stock arrives, give or take. So I need to have rock NOW. I figure the stock will be ok for a few days just hanging out, but this is the fire under my butt to finally cast and choose a piece of rock.

Tonight I am going to cast 2 pieces fit to my 'Cube. After 16-18 hours, I will remove them from the casting bin and proceed to steam them in the MRS for 4 hours, with a 2 hour "ramp up and down" period on each end of the steam period. The will then go into a very weak vinegar solution for 24 hours, then 3 days of wetting and allowing it to dry (the idea is to encourage carbonation). I will then test the rock with a standard 3 day pH test. And post my results. If need be, I will follow up with a few days of additional kuring.

And then you guys will get to choose the rock I use of the two I will have made

Wish me luck!