View Single Post
Old 12/07/2007, 10:41 AM
El Jefe de WRS

How to QT whale sharks... leave them be, lol. Its a large animal... most likely needs more than a football field to feel at home.

I heard that more than just the eating area water was removed... Ill have to recheck I suppose. I heard some displays were getting shut down as well. I havent been there since March though.

The Georgia water table is supposed to be 'tapped beyond capacity though' due to Atlantas rapid expansion... MSNBC, AP, and even CNN have reported on it. I dont know how unreasonable it is to believe considering every summer there is drought, Atlanta has a '3 month supply left'. Atlanta is part of the 30% that is supposed to be under "exceptional drought" territory now... so Id say its a matter of time. Sure, water conservation measures are in place, but that doesnt mean that building the worlds largest aquarium is a great idea. I thought Marcus might have run a pipeline directly from the ocean, and built a desalinization plant to sell water to the city when it runs low on water... but I guess not.

If an aquarium is new, and I agree... I wouldnt expect it to have much in the way of established research and 'getting the systems figured out'. But then wouldnt it be a good idea to wait on the 'tricky' species until a later date, when the aquarium doesnt have to risk as much?