View Single Post
Old 12/07/2007, 06:35 AM
Registered Member

Actually, your facts are pretty off. I just finished writing the book on the Georgia Aquarium, have volunteered over 500 hours there, and am pretty familiar with the place.

No exhibits are closed down. We drained the water in the wishing well around the eating area to help during the drought.

Atlanta is not running out of water, and no reasonable person thinks that will happen in 7 years. This IS a drought, and it IS a large metropolitan area, but come on, hyperbole ala chicken little is not necessary.

I would LOVE to hear your ideas of how to quarrentine whale sharks.

All of the aquariums you mentioned are very good, and many of our staff come from there. You may also note that the main problem of most aquariums is debt load - something we did not want to be burdened with in the future. GAI does not make profit, but it does stay out of debt.

Look at the GAI website regarding our research, however it would be nuts to think that an aquarium that just opened would have research at that time. The first 1-2 years was devoted to opening and getting the exhibits in order, and now the research is starting more in full force. Shedd, while a great aquarium (built with Georgia marble, I might add, and also built by a big industrialist) has 100 years of history, so the comparisons are difficult, don't you think?