View Single Post
Old 10/11/2007, 10:14 PM
Catch and release

Unfortunately from I have heard through a fellow student that is going into public aquarium medicine and has first hand knowledge of the situation is the reason they are having the problems they are having now is because they have neglected to quarantine. I understand it is difficult to setup a display for whale sharks much less a QT to keep them but a cardinal rule for keeping any type of live animal is QTing them before being introduced into the general population. No matter how hard that rule is to follow in your particular situation it is still very important and should be done to prevent costly and even catastrophic results to the animals ones care. Apparently they have introduced a parasite (a type of fluke if I remember correctly) that is only susceptible to one type of medication. The flukes in the system have developed a resistance to this and the whale sharks that have died have been treated with much higher than normal doses of this medication to try and rid them, at least temporarily, of the flukes. This has ended up killing the whale sharks.
Unfortunately the Aquarium is now stuck with these parasites forever and they actually have to routinely physically remove them from several species every few days.
I also need to say I think the aquarium is a great idea and has some very nice points. It is obvious however from my visit and from what I have heard that husbandry issues are an ongoing concern.

Chris

Last edited by fishdoc11; 10/11/2007 at 10:20 PM.