View Single Post
Old 08/27/2007, 11:17 AM
Registered Member

Location: Florida (UMiami) during school year, Massachusetts otherwise.
And as far as what could be considered "worth it," I can't even begin to think about the entire economics of running a nonprofit aquarium. If Trichlorfon worked for other sharks, and it's a lot cheaper, logic alone would mandate its use. Too bad it didn't work, but if the others are more expensive... It would have had to treat 6.33 million gallons. What if your others were, say, 20% more expensive? Do you know what a 20% price increase might look like over that many gallons? Say the aquarium had, theoretically, a 100,000 dollar budget for that sort of thing, per year. Then say MAX donations add an extra 10,000. It wouldn't be able to cover the increase to 120,000 - and it's not like they have many options after full donations besides more loans. Just saying. It's economics. They wouldn't even consider other treatments if the cheaper one worked for other sharks and it was some significant percent less than other treatments. I bet they even spoke of it too - "hey I wonder how the whale sharks will respond?" "probably not the same as ____ sharks, or ____ sharks, and we may have to vary the treatment - but I don't think it will be too different, gauging by general physiology..." "oh %^&*, guess they're more sensitive. I wish there had been a way to find out before." "yeah, damn." Could be one scenario.