View Single Post
Old 12/25/2007, 06:50 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Triterium
I just set up a tank today. (first one I've had for 1-2 years). I have a 10,000K and 6,500K 400 watt MH. I tested the ballast with the 10K XM bulb and i really like it.

So what's the relevance of this? This will be a planted tank. Just light, power heads, heater and no plumbing. I'll try the chaeto under a 400watt 10,000K bulb and see how it goes. I'll post back if anyone is interested in the results.
there is no doubt that you may be able to grow chaeto under more intense lights..........but what is the point? I grow it under a 20 watt bulb. 1/20th the wattage and I highly doubt it is even possible to grow it faster unless you were to dose fertilizers of some sort which.....you would not want to do in a reef aquarium. I'm not sure why you would want to use up so much electricity on a planted tank, but I wish you luck and hope everything grows with excellent results. I'm sure there are many there are many approaches to growing macro/chaeto, but these are just my experiences trying various bulbs, distances to the water, and a reef safe dosage of iron over many months and a good amount of failure. My tips are just a guideline to get started obviously and results will most likely vary depending on water conditions and tank maturity.