View Single Post
Old 01/08/2008, 10:37 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Blugobi
I have had a Banded pipe in my 120 SPS dominated reef for 6 months, he eats like a champ and hunts all day long. I have an Oceans motions 4-way and Dart sequence pump as well as two maxi mods for current, so my tank is high flow. He/She handles the current with ease and at feeding time rubs noses with the big dogs in my tank, Kole tang, Foxface, Mystery wrasse, 3 Bangni Cards and an algae blenny. He enjoys frozen mysid, Plankton, Brine as well Cyclopeez. In my opinion, a banded pipe is a good choice for a reef.

Geo
I've had a very similar experience with banded pipefish as above. They are very good in reef setups. The only limitation in my experience is not to keep them with wrasses or aggressive clowns or damsels. They absolutely can not tolerate being pestered by fish that have similar feeding habits.
Otherwise they are really awesome fish to have. Just make sure you have plenty of mature live rock with lots and lots of copepods. They usually only eat live food from the rocks, but sometimes you'll get lucky and find one who eats prepared foods.