View Single Post
Old 03/26/2007, 01:09 PM
Registered Member

JHardman,

I know this isn't exaclty what you aer posting about, but it does seem like a viable way to address what you list as the first problem with captive breeding tanks...

"1) There is no active filtration of nitrogen cycle pollutants. Ammonia and nitrate can lead to larval losses and malformations and misbarring."

After spending some time in the DIY forum and reading through the The Ultimate DIY Rocks!, I immediately though about using this method to aid in the rearing process. I don't remember seeing you talk about it, so if you did I appologize because I missed it, are three of your four sides blacked out?

In that thread specifically a few posts talk about creating a custom rockwork which fits the back wall of the tank. In doing this, one could theoretically cast a mold of three sides of their tank and seed it with LR. Now this process would obviously take a few months to establish, however for somebody like myself who isn't close this process yet, it does seem like it would be worth my time.

Please keep in mind that I am not trying to contradict your ideas or methods in any way. I simply value your input as a breeder and feel you would be one of the better people to comment on whether or not something like this would provide sufficient filtration.