View Single Post
Old 03/22/2007, 09:57 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RichardS
My preferred lighting for my reef tanks (plural) are metal halides. I like the ripples among other things.

I drive an F250 crewcab not because I need to, just because I like it.

Most of my home lighting is flourescent. Not because I think I'm saving the planet but because it saves me money.

In 3 years I will be installing a new roof on my home along with solar panels. Not because I think I'm going to save the planet but because it will save me money. I'm going to look into a windmill as well since I'm in 7 acres and on top of a hill. For the same reason.

I'm not under the illusion that those things will affect the global climate one way or another. I am not under the illusion that it is possible to be carbon neutral and still be breathing. Although when I get home I think I might kill my 130lb wolfhound puppy since he pumps alot of CO2 into the atmosphere...and because my wife just called and told me that he ate our coffee table.

A better topic might a realistic discussion of how much of an impact these small things can actually have. Apparently none of you will discuss that. It's a tough topic with no easy answers and so much easier to just stick with the talking points of whatever side of the fence your on, so I understand.

As far as having lots of wind farms, I think a whole bunch of birds are hoping we don't go that route. If we do and if it solves global warming then at least the environmentalists will have new cause to rally behind.
I have always thought that making it more economical to install solar/wind power is a great method to reduce carbon emmisions. I know you do not believ in AGW, and there are many more like you. But if it is cheaper for you to convert to alternative energy created by yourself, than staying on the grid, then a lot of people will do it. And the benefits are not just for the environment. There are many factors that will also help your local area.

I feel for you with your puppy. Mine is a 6mnth old Lab and she delights in destroying things while we are not home. I would hate to think what a puppy around three times her size could do.

Re the birds. No need to worry about that. Wind farm deaths are the most researched cause of bird deaths in the world. Communication towers, cats and the windows of large buildings cause many more deaths than wind farms could do.

The last estimates I saw in the US have estimated 100 million bird deaths a year to domestic cats compared to 5000 - 10000 deaths from turbines. The Exxon Valdez alone killed an estimated 500000 bird deaths. Newer research can even chose better sites so that death rate can be reduced.