View Single Post
Old 09/22/2006, 10:30 AM
Registered Member

Re: survey

SELECTION
Did you mail order this fish and would you recommend mail order this fish? Are there captive-raised/bred specimen available and where?
nope didn't mail order and not that i know of on the captive bred
Any tips on how you picked a healthy specimen of this species from LFS? What do you think is the ideal size to get?

i got a very small one that was actively interested in what was happening around it and was a very active eater.

ACCLIMATION AND INTRODUCTION
Any special tips about the acclimation and introduction of this fish?

same way i did all my other fish
Any special needs for this fish or special considerations for young specimen?

feeding them. i fed mine live food. why? because what's the point of having a lion fish if you can't watch him hunt. He got fed many different species of fish and schrimps, usually what was left over bait from a days fishing.

COMPATIBILITY
What tankmates do you have with this fish?Is it a reef or FO tank?
hung out fine with grouper, DID not like eels.

Did this fish hurt/eat any of other fish (or vice versa)?
yep. if he could fit it in his mouth it was dead.

Did this fish hurt/eat ornamental crustaceans (shrimps, hermits, crabs)?
yep. hungery little cuss

FEEDING
How did you get this fish to eat at first?
live brine shrimp and sargasso shrimp

If this fish only accepted live food, how did you wean it over to prepared food?
didn't want to
What’s the diet?
at the end, live shrimp, mullet, small drums, damsels

How much and how often do you feed?
every 3 days
How does this fish eat?(grazers, active or sedentary predators, sand sifters, etc)

agressively hunting and killing fish. i would leave a dozen or so shrimp in the tank at any given time so he could munch when he was hungery

GROWTH RATE AND LIFE SPAN
What is the initial size of your fish and maximum size it reached? How fast did it grow (how much growth over a given period of time)?

when i got him he was 2 inches and at the end close to 14

What size tank did this fish live in? (or how soon did this fish outgrow what size tank)? What do you think is the minimum tank size required for an adult specimen of this fish?
started in a 20, moved to a 65 and ended in a 135
If this fish went through body pattern change from juvenile to adult, was the change complete? How long did it take?
nope
How long have you kept this fish? If you no longer have this fish, what was the cause?
5 years, hurricanes power loss.

DISEASE AND TREATMENT
What disease has this fish had? How did you treat it, for how long? What's the effect of the treatment?
never had a problem

BEHAVIOR
Does this fish change body color under any circumstances?
yep. he hated bob marley and loved U2. also turned bright green at the slightest hint of cleavage
How active is this fish? Is this fish shy?
very
How territorial or aggressive is this fish? How does this fish interact with tankmates?
bullyied them
Did this fish ever jump out of the tank?
nope but he had an enclose hood
How does this fish sleep?
vertical on his rock
Does this fish allow cleaners to clean? If so which cleaner and how often?
nope
How does this fish interact with human?
very friendly until you suck your hand in the tank. loved to watch beerpong matches.
Any other interesting observation of this fish?

loved women. and i do mean really. if a hot chick was in the room, he would not pay any attention to anything else

SUMMARY
Your overall assessment of this species -
How sensitive is this fish to poor water quality on a scale of 1-5?
1 - very tolerant, may survive a cycle in a new tank
2 - quite tolerant, may survive accidental ammonia or nitrite spike
3 - not terribly sensitive to reasonable pH, salinity or temperature changes
4 - sensitive to any significant water chemistry changes, and may show stress during such changes
5 - very sensitive to water quality, may easily get stressed and get sick with any change in water chemistry

Would you recommend this fish to beginners?
no
Any other recommendations/comments?
love my fish and will get another one when i have a big enough house to have a big enough tank for a pair

If you have any picture(s) of this fish you took, please post it here and share with us! [/B]