View Single Post
Old 08/14/2004, 11:04 AM
Premium Member

Location: 1477 S. Prescott Ave., Clearwater, Florida. Phone: (727) 443-6459
It just seems sad to let what appears to be a personality conflict or misunderstanding degrade to this point where people are attacking others on a personal level.
Frank Marini (the author of the article) is among those I now consider a friend, as is Anthony and Bob Fenner, all of whom I consider to be extremely knowledgeable,

In my case, there's no Ph.D.. as my college was interfered with by Viet Nam, but I did set up my first marine tank in 1969 and have been fortunate enough to watch the entire marine hobby grow from its infancy, often with todays "way it has to be done" changed by one little discovery somewhere along the line.

Degrees are highly over-rated , IMO, in this country because a formal college education is NOT the only way to gain knowledge and in no way makes that knowledge any more or less valuable than same obtained by reading and experience.

Many of our famous leaders, like Abe Lincoln, who were largely self taught would be looked down upon and sneered at in today's good ole USA with many asides about dumb hicks, etc.,
etc.
If you want to disagree with someone, that's one of our rights here in America and happens very frequently, but I personally would consider it a favor if you left name calling and macho bravado out of it, particularly in print.

Your opinion of someone is just exactly that, and even among your peers, many would probably not appreciate you taking private conversations among yourselves and including them in blanket statements in what appears to be a particularly nasty personal grudge presented in anything but a civilized, educated manor.

Yes, it IS an extremely well written and researched article, one of the best in the area that I've seen.