View Single Post
Old 03/24/2005, 12:45 PM
Premium Member

I too am very interested in this kind of system but I feel that an important part of such a system would be large reg/weekly water changes. If for no other reason than the need to reset parameters instead of having to dump chemicals into the tank daily or weekly. Except Kalk of course. Things get used up in a system, you neeed to replace them. But the most important thing to remember is that all those animals working for you also are eating and going to the bathroom, yes some of it will be reused and eaten by even smaller/different animals but there is a point where in a closed system there is no where else to go so it must be removed by a skimmer or by large water changes. I do both. I feed daily with phyto and fish/coral food, this is allowed to circulate for about 4 hrs through the tank and sump/fuge. Then I turn on my skimmer and set it to skim wet, which it does for 20hrs. Rinse, repeat. I do weekly 25g water changes on a 150g system. So far so good. I have no algae, my fish are healthy, I have not lost a frag in a long time, and I have never lost one that has had a week or two to settle into my system. But I also haven't tried to keep any demanding acros....yet