View Single Post
Old 03/24/2005, 03:25 AM
Registered Member

Watch your skimmer!!!!!
I was keeping Oystuers until I installed my Euroreef skimmer, and it started pulling the phyto out of the tank along with the skimmate. Th first one I intorduced was from the grocery store fish counter. Just droped it in cause it wasn't in water so I really didn't have anything to acclimate it with. That origional oystuer stayed with me for over a year.
All the rest i got at a Sushi bar My girl wanted some sushi so I went along. Upon noticing the oystuers on the half shell I hatched a plan. We went back the next weekend and I brought a bag. It took a minute for the waiter to understand that I wanted "a dozen unopened oystuers; one of each species listed. And here is a bag for them."
If ws my spiny oystuers that told me things were amiss when they started gaping, and it was too late by them for the edible oystuers. I haven't restocked the oystuers yet as i have been playing with the skimmer to ensure I don't pull the phyto out of the tank, but with my next tank I am planning a seperate oysture fuge as a prefilter of sorts to the macro fuge.

The memories of a man in his old age,
Are the deeds of a man in his prime.
Pink Floyd