View Single Post
Old 07/20/2006, 11:31 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dudester
My 30g tank is probably too small (not enough pods) to support a target mandarin long-term, but John has had success training them to eat prepared foods (like you, Marc) and we decided that once he has one properly trained, then I'll take it.
Just for another point of reference, I had also heard that it takes a large system with lots of live rock to provide enough 'pod for a mandarin. However, for various reasons, I bought a green mandarin goby from my tiny little LFS in Copperas Cove. It's been in my 20L tank with about 20lb of LR for about two months now. It seems to be growing and is noticebly fatter. He has been pretty shy and stays in back of the rockwork, and just recently has started venturing to the front of the tank when I'm around. He seems curious. He doesn't seem underfed.

My modified AC 500 refugium seems to be pretty good at breeding conditions for 'pods. And they are all over my LR.

Granted, I've only had him for a couple of months, and he shows no sign of eating any other foods, but maybe a 30g tank could produce enough 'pods to support a mandarin.

Now that I've said that, my poor mandarin is probably a goner.

Bruce