View Single Post
Old 11/18/2007, 03:29 AM
El Jefe de WRS

Thanks Rickyrooz1,
That is just one 250wattDE on a light rail, yes. I use a ushio 14,000K in it. The thing is, its bright, maybe too much. I did a quick PAR reading the other week (black box, no reflector), and it scored within 5% of my Giesemann 14,500K. I wonder if this bulb hasnt been 'redone' recently or something... I think its too bright for my application. Im going to have to try a different bulb. I love the color with my 4x54wattT5s (2x true actinics and 2x blue+), but some of my corals are doing the 'pastel look'.

I wish there was a '200 watt' bulb or something, as this bulb is already been cut back to being on an Icecap ballast (rather than the PFO HQI). So Im trying to find a duller daylight bulb... but thats sort of a waste. I dont need something bluer though either... but maybe if I made the halide a 20,000K, and put a daylight bulb in for the T5s, it might be alright.

I should have made the tank 4" taller. Im seriously considering switching to all T5s (8-10 x 54wattT5) on this tank. The halide just has too much of a 'hot spot' under it. Some corals love it, but others hate it. Because of the light mover, the tank doesnt really have many 'low light' areas either. So dont take it as the light rail being bad or anything. I might be able to either swap the reflector for my lumenarc DE pendant to spread out the light more, but I might just end up moving down to a 150watt bulb.