View Single Post
Old 12/31/2006, 03:19 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by jbittner
Ok!! I don't want to sound like a Petco Supporter (which I am not), But that story could have been in any LFS in the world. Most if not all LFS I have ever been in have a multiple tank system, and if you look long enough I can assure you you'll find a fish with spots or torn fins on an infection or dead. I have never seen a LFS offer a guarantee on saltwater fish (unless you buy online). Also, the mandarin very well could have been eating Brine (probably not but maybe) At least you wouldn't have to worry about the mandarin catching ich (slime coat prevents it ). I was just amazed at the quality of the livestock in this certain store, I also knew I might start a firestorm.
jbitter,

Supporter? Sure sounds like it, but what do I care. <---notice a "period" and not a "question mark". brine shrimp? frozen? I can assure you, if that were even a little bit true...THAT THING WOULD BE PRICELESS! I have only heard about one or two different stories about an aquarist that got their mandarin to eat frozen food (mysis to be exact) and that took him nearly three months trial and error in addition to having a tank with an unlimited supply of copepods and amphipods. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A MANDARIN THAT WILL EAT FROZEN BRINE SHRIMP FROM PETCO.

Oh by the way...the mandarin dragonet CAN get ich as well. The Cryptocaryon parasite is much more aggressive than you think or know. That thick layer of mucus that you were referring to is not as protective as you were made to believe. Only a few different species of "fish" are truly immune to cryptocaryon aside from inverts. Just thought you should know.

Those people at Petco are the biggest bunch of ****** I've ever seen. I wouldn't lay a dime down on a single fish (fresh or saltwater) from Petco unless it was free and all I had to pay for was the tax.

Last edited by billsreef; 12/31/2006 at 12:07 PM.