View Single Post
Old 01/02/2008, 11:51 PM
Registered Member

Re: why is change so difficult to accept

Quote:
Originally posted by sanababit
i have been reading a lot of posts since i started this wonderful hobby and noticed a lot of changes in ideas and methods on doing things, like using garlic to help fish with their inmune system to fight off ich, using a denitrifier to control nitrates to help control algae, cyano, and save salt by not changing water that often (probably 10%-15% once a month is good), using carbon 24/7 to help clear up water and changing it every month, there are so many combinations on doing things that everytime i come to a post like, i have high nitrates how can i control them, i see mostly "do water changes", "control feedings", "better skimmer" which do sometimes work btw, but when someone posts use a denitrifier which do work also, some people post that they sometimes work, or you could crash your tank; well if you do a water change you could crash your tank too if the salinity or temp is off. my point is, change is good, it means that there are other ways of doing things, just that people dont take change easily, a fellow reefer friend of mine with some years experience told me that not so long ago the thing to use was an undergravel filter and they did not use skimmers which for now standards this is unheardoff

i hope to hear comments on this topic, if you have other methods on doing things, maintenance, feedings, filtering, disease control etc, thanks

sana
why people shoot down things like denitrifires? because they are band aid solutions...once you stop using it the problem comes back. Use mother nature and do stuff right the first time, get the proper amount of live rock, get enough sand get a sump and fuge..and let mother nature do her thing. why use a man made band aid? l
lets see.....has anyone seen that huge man made denitirfire in the ocean? i must have missed it........the denitrifier i see is liverock, sand and a perfectly balanced ecosystem. what we should all be striving to achieve with our tanks.

water changes 10-15% monthly to save on salt? this is not a cheap hobby the money that is being saved on salt is being put toward snake oil products...like denitrifiers...a perfect example of stuff not getting done right.

to comment on tanks crashing from water changes...if you cant perform a water change carefully enough you have bigger issues than you re tank crashing..and you shouldnt be in this hobby..let alone taking care of any living thing....a tank crash from water change is pure laziness and lack of attention.

thats my two cents