View Single Post
Old 01/10/2008, 02:55 PM
Registered Member

Hello I started that other threaad, as it stands I use a seachem test kit for calcium it test 320 I know some do not like this test kit so it may be like 360-380 for another kit. But, low is low..

Seachem magnesium test also shows 1100 MG at best.

Just wanted to say for those worried about other params.. the salt seems OK after I boost CA with turbo calcium by 100PPM to about 425 ppm and MG by 200+PPM to about 1300PPM before water change.

I keep a 80 gallon SPS only tank and since correcting the params the corals grow for me.. The is no browning, IMO browning of SPS would be caused by something else.

Prolonged low calcium, as in, using the reef crystals without amending the CA and MG, (which I did for a while) will have a hard time growing coraline and SPS will likely STN.

I don't want to bother Dr Foster and Smith, I have 2 more buckets, they have refunded some of my money years ago when I complained, but really it's not their fault.. Simply amending the salt works.. as you needed to with IO also. But Dr F&S say they use these in their coral farm in thousand gallon reservoir in their catalog, they have amazing SPS.. Ha, I do not think they use the RC bucket without amendment.

I think I will continue to buy RC and test each bucket (not a big deal) and amend as needed. Cost of these amendment is a small cost compare to everything else in this hobby, no?