View Single Post
Old 12/20/2005, 11:43 AM
Teem Zissou

interesting... i never put words to it, but i try to keep my gluing technique similar in nature when doing individual polyps or loose polyps. i still probably over-glue based on your description though...

however, i will say that i typically try and avoid gluing direct polyps. when i frag, i use a [ur]=http://www.drinstruments.com/xq/ASP/pid.80/cat.20/qx/product.htm]scalpel[/url] and kind of scrape underneath the first 'layer' of the rock. i hate breaking the rock as you can obviously only do this so many times until you're left w/ a tiny rock, heh!

i use that exact scalpel there because they are really strong and you can put a lot of pressure on them when doing this. they are sharp, however i also have several other tools from that place including a more exacto-blade style scalpel. it is much more fragile, but much more sharp for cutting mat/polyps.

but in doing this, i'm left w/ the zoa still in tact w/ 'rubble' and then glue down the rubble. thus no superglue comes in contact w/ the polyps at all.

however, i tell you that to ask you this: utilizing that technique, do you think one would still get the 'explosive frag growth rate' you were talking about? i.e. you are gluing 3 loose polyps down w/ their skin touching the frag plug as much as possible. i'm gluing down 3 'non-loose' polyps in a similar manner.

thoughts?