View Single Post
Old 05/20/2003, 08:11 AM
Ricordea Junkie

Most of the green varieties of R. Florida are considered common, and are generally in less demand in the marketplace.

However, I find some of the electric green combinations to be particularly beautiful, and sometimes even the most drab R. Floridas will color into spectacular patterns under certain lighting/ current/ PH? / Salinity?/ Nitrates?

It is sometimes hard to tell what color some of them will end up when they adapt to their environment. They are very flexible about almost all living conditions, (except too much current or heat) but they are very unpredictable in terms of coloration. Fortunately, the beautiful ones stay beautiful through all their shifts!

Ricordea Yuma seems to hold color more consistently, although they may lighten or darken, they do not seem to actually morph into something else the way R. Floridas can.

(R. Floridas remind me of Hydrangia (sp?) flowers- (they are pink or blue or somewhere between - depending on the PH of the soil they grow in.) There are some factors in the way these change colors that I have not pinpointed yet, although I suspect it is a combination of environmental changes!)

FWIW, I have experimented with R. Floridas and R. Yumas under 1,000 watt Metal Halide to see how they responded. Within about a month they opened fully and comfortably, as long as they did not have too much current. I am getting some interesting coloration under big lighting, although I find the 250-watt Radiums on Sunlight Supply Pulse start ballasts to be my favorite Ricordea lights.

Darren Walker

Last edited by Anemone; 06/08/2003 at 06:40 PM.