View Single Post
Old 09/12/2007, 07:29 PM
Registered Member

Here in S.C. there are your LFS's and then there are your Speacilty Fish Store's. Guess that says it all. We have a couple to choose from and generally speaking if one store doesnt fit your needs on an item or question, then one of the others probably will. Most of them have GREAT quality fish and corals, and usually have very knowledgable people working in them!

Everyone has a different approach to keeping a system up and running, or for that matter plumbing it. To find someone that is SUPER knowledgeable and up to date in every aspect of the salt world would mean they must keep their head burried in RC all day everyday....in turn neglecting their store.

You must take into consideration that the mark-up on their products keeps the doors open, as they have to take fish loss, power consumption, rent, etc. into account! Internet stores usually have a warehouse without the store front up keep.

I dont mind paying a little more for an item that is right there in front of me. Usually by the time you pay shipping on an online order and then wait 3-5 days for it, you could have just bought it locally and spent a couple of bucks more for instant gratification, But sometime they just dont have what your looking for...Right?

The only problem I have with LFS's is the problem they have with you not being loyal to them for EVERY ITEM! I have created close relationships with my Local stores, and can sometimes hear the animosity in their voice when they find out you've been somewhere else for an item. I dont think its a good idea for a "salter" to only go to ONE LFS. You sell yourself short on knowlegde " as we have all learned from this thread" and availability! Just my two cents!

Overall, here in S.C. we have it good!!!!