View Single Post
Old 09/12/2007, 12:07 PM
Registered Member

LFS... Misconception? or bad REP?

This is in no way trying to bash or prohibit people from buying or going to Local Fish Stores. These people devote their lives to owning and operating these stores and I respect them for it. Without them we wouldn't have the community that we have today. This thread is not intended for purposeful slander but for experience only. If you wish to share an experience... please post broad locations and not exact stores.

Ok now I never posted anything when this happened but I always walk into everywhere I go with an open opinion and try to learn things. But I find myself going into an LFS and discovering that these people are only educated on keeping things alive and not on science or up to date technology. Nor do they like to read the labels on hardware or take another step and research for better efficiency.

I went to an excellent ORA certified LFS in North Orlando. Great setup, great representation... great livestock the whole shwabang. I checked out the plumbing on a beautiful 210g reef setup they had as a display. Obviously these people knew what was going on because it looks as good or better than my tank (available funds im claiming!). And he is running 2 mag 12s for close loops. All fine and dandy... but when I look at the output diameter of the pvc he is using it was 3/4". The exact same size as the outlet. Thinking to myself... why would he not at least go a size or 2 bigger or if not go what is recommended for full efficiency double the output to 1 1/2"? So I ask out of curiosity. He tells me that it was the outlet size so why should he bother going any bigger. He is the owner of the store so I know he cant be a total shmuck. Smart guy and he knows his stuff but he didn't know a simple principle and he runs an LFS?

I know this isnt a big deal to alot of you. And im probably just anal... but this isnt the first time ive walked out of an LFS thinking to myself "why can't I run one of these places?". And then reality hits me instantly that I had taken a different course in my life to where I couldnt afford it and devote time yadayadayada.... Does this not bother some of you?

Please share your LFS stories of frustration... id love to hear them.

(I wrote the preclause because RC is notorious for deleting any of my more liberal threads.)