View Single Post
Old 01/11/2008, 10:03 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DarG
The giesemann coral 13K (which is actually the 14.5) has a ppfd of 126 on the magnetic HQI ballast. Your are getting the 88 on an electronic ballast. The M80 ballast is the ballast that the bulb is spec'd to run on. 126 ppfd is the true output and just one very good example why DE lamps should be run on their spec, HQI magnetic ballasts.

BTW, I ran Phoenix 250 watt lamps for a little while. They were very very blue on both the magnetic and electronic ballasts. Far, far bluer than the Iwasaki 14000K which is actually a very crisp white bulb and an excellent choice for anyone wanting a 250 watt DE with good par, absolutely no yellow and just a slight hint of blue.

I know I have said this before in another thread but there are just too many different descriptions of the Phoenix bulbs in terms of color that I think it goes beyond individual perceptions. I think that some runs of the Phoenix bulbs are actually bluer than others. Either that or there are far more people who are color blind to blue than would seem possible. The Phoenix bulbs I had could have been branded TY-D-Bowl and it would have been a perfect name
now I'm starting to get completely confused. You refer to the coral 13k as actually being the 14.5k and the Marinedepot website lists the Megachrome as the 14.5k. I am thinking about going with the Giesemann 14.5k instead of the phoenix because I'm not looking for that blue I have been seeing on the tank shots posted. I'll be going with a 150w DE hqi with an electronic ballast so what would be the difference between the coral and the megachrome?