View Single Post
Old 12/28/2004, 09:19 PM
Registered Member

new clam tank project

I’ve been working on this tank for about 3 months from design to having it built. It is an edgeless tank with water flowing around all 4 sides. The top (main) tank is 24x24 x 10, and the bottom (over flow) tank is 29x29x3. The top tank has one ¾ inch bulkhead for the return and the bottom has two-¾ inch for the return. The tank was over built out of ½ inch acrylic routed and polished on the top edge so the water would flow over with out any resistance. The top tank is elevated off the bottom tank 1 inch and is supported by the bracing u see in the pictures. The bottom tank is also routed and polished of all sharp edges to give it a smooth look. Currently the return pump is a mag-drive 5 with a ball valve to control flow. Even with the valve open all the way, the return flow still handles the output of the return pump. It is a tad bit loud so I run it at about 60% flow. It is plumbed into my main display tank fuge and should help with filtration. The stand is a cabinet I picked up from Lowe’s made from oak. I had to cut the draw part to compensate for the return and drain lines. But I still wanted to use the draw so I shorted it about half the length of the original. The tank was design to be viewed top down or from side in just by adjusting the return ball valve. I currently have not set up the lights but will have them up after the first of the year. Lighting plans are a 250-watt MH 14k and 2 75 watt VHO hung from the ceiling. Comments welcomed.