View Single Post
Old 11/22/2007, 05:16 PM
Registered Member

HobbyBoards has a good How To section on their site. It should answer all your questions on topology and connections and such.

The 1-wire Java API provides lots of samples. I'm sure the other other APIs has samples too. The other option is to use the OWFS, which will let you access the data as if it was text files in the file system. It only runs on Linux however. Getting the data into a database would depend on the database. I'm not a SQL expert, but I suspect most would allow adding rows from a command line. You should be able to modify the samples to output the data into a format that can be imported into the database. I've never tried it this way myself, as I do everything within Java and use JDBC to access the database.

I would offer up my code, but what I have is a bit complicated right now and not quite ready for public consumption.

There are a lot of ways to do this in software. Research the options and pick the path of least resistance for you. All will require some programming, whether it's Java, .NET, C, batch files, or shell scripts. Sounds like a good opportunity to brush up on those programming skills