View Single Post
Old 01/09/2008, 03:40 PM
Registered Member

If anyone thinks Aussie corals are selling for the same price as Indo corals (wholesale that is) you are sadly mistaken! The Avg. Aussie coral cost 2-3 times the amount that the same exact coral from Indo would cost.

It all starts at the top and rolls down. Most LFS don't even order Aussie corals due to there price tag as the Avg. LFS customer will look at you crazy when you tell them $20 per polyp let alone $50-100!

The only beef I have is with everything being "RARE" now a days just to sell it. Also don't be surprised if Australia cuts off exporting again then the prices will really sky rocket!

Another thing most people don't think of is the DOA and ugly corals that never sell. As a Vendor we pay for the coral whether it arrives Dead or Alive. Part of the mark up must include the DOA's, Rent, Utilities, Insurance,Advertising,etc,etc. No one in this business that I know is getting Rich.................at least not at the LFS Level. I have done orders for Thousands of dollars and got maybe 10-15 good corals and 20-30 that may never sell. There is a lot of gouging out there but not by everyone!

With that said just like in any business there are some gougers out there and it is up to the consumer to educate themselves and make the choice that is best for them not anyone else!

Last edited by Underwaterparadise; 01/09/2008 at 03:54 PM.