View Single Post
Old 01/22/2006, 04:10 AM
Registered Member

Hi,
Your setup sounds really great!
I have those Home Despot shelves and I have to warn you about a few things. One, they rust. When they start to rust the paint comes off in sheets and can land in the tanks. I do use it, only am going to be more careful about keeping lids on HOT filters and avoiding leaving tanks uncovered. Any salt spray, even that which you can't see, apparently somehow corrodes.
Number 2: The shelves bend like crazy. I put kritter keepers and gallon jars of cultures on them and they bowed. Getting humidity on them from tanks on the next shelf down exascerbates the problem. Having 10 gallon tanks in the wrong way so they hang off the ends is great, having boxes inside resting solely on the particle board not good. (:
Since your system is saltwater you definitely will need to keep on top of all drips and leaks. Where my rack meets the floor it is one pile of rust colored particles, kind of scary. I have been using it for under 3 years.
Personally I would rather put everything holding saltwater on wood 2X4 racks and use these shelves for drygoods. Or freshwater, ha ha! My fishroom is mostly freshwater, yours probably not... I breed killifish. I also use chrome racks made like the "metro racks" sold for restaurant kitchens, they rust too but maintain structural integrity longer. Costco sells them in widths suitable for 2 10 gallon tanks placed the "right" way per shelf.
Kate