View Single Post
Old 01/21/2006, 11:05 AM
Premium Member

Good points rsman, and exactly correct on the foamie trainer. I just taught a buddy to fly on one of these http://www.hobby-lobby.com/easystar.htm Good flying little plane, we basically bought the combo package, but upgraded the radio to a nicer 2 stick 6 channel and got a lithium polymer capable charger.

Here is what I plan for my setup, I do have facilities to take care of the ammonia and nitrite, but would love to hear any recommendations.

The overflows will be plumb together into a single line, which will drain into a 10g bio-ball trickle filter. This will exit into the second chamber of the sump (refugium), and split a small amount of water through the denitrifier coil. The coil and the refugium will exit into the skimmer section, which will output into the return area.

The returns will go to the growout tanks only, I will always have 4 fry tanks which will use water from the main system, but will not be plumbed in line. I will simply syphon the debris off the bottom of the tanks into a bucket, and then open a valve from the main systems return to replenish the water.

Right now, I plan to just use several Tuff Box style plastic containers for the different sections of the sump, and plumb those together with bulkheads and small PVC connectors. All total, the sump system should be about 80 gallons, and there will initially be 12 ten gallons (with about 8 gallons a peice in them) plus the 4 fry tanks.

I'm off to the local hardware stores to get some stuff so I can piece some more of this together today, I'll post pics of the progress. Any thoughts on what vessel to use for the trickle? I'm thinking maybe BIG diameter PVC, but not sure at this point.